Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

What now?

First of all, I would like to honor and remember all the veterans who have served our country. I am especially remembering my Dad today. He participated in D-Day in North Africa during World War II and was hit by shrapnel that killed three of his buddies. He came home a different man, I'm told, as do many veterans. I don't think you can witness and/or participate in the kinds of things they have to do and not be changed. Thank you for helping to keep us safe.

On a more personal note, my book tour is done. Thank you once again to all who hosted me and the many others who left wonderful comments and words of support and encouragement. I am so so grateful. I've had my book signing. And so I ask myself, what now?

At this point in my life, writing isn't a career. It's just something I seem to have to do. And I love doing it (sometimes, lol). I have ideas for other things, but no impetus to begin anything just yet. I'm in what I call the cloud of unknowing (the title of a book written by an anonymous monk in the 14th century). Isn't that a wonderful phrase?

The cloud of unknowing, where I open myself up and ask Spirit, "what would you have me do?"
In the past this has been a place of huge angst. Now, it is a peaceful place because I know, just as I listened to the voice that asked me to write The Wishing Steps, whatever comes will be what I'm meant to do.

Blessings
Karen

11 comments:

Arlee Bird said...

Congratulations on a successful tour! I can understand that "What Now?" feeling. I'd say it's kind of like coming home after a vacation or the day after Christmas or something.

I guess now you can sit at home and just watch your fortune from the book roll in. :) I hope part of that fortune includes some money,

No matter what though, you're on a roll so don't stop writing!

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Karen Walker said...

Ha, fortune, indeed. I don't think I could ever stop writing, but I expect no fortune from it. But I'm open to miracles....

Chrys Fey said...

Congrats on a successful book tour! That is definitely worth celebrating.

I may not be making much money...hardly more than $25 a quarter but I like to consider my writing a career. :)

Happy Veterans Day!!!

Chrys Fey said...

Congrats on a successful book tour! That is definitely worth celebrating.

I may not be making much money...hardly more than $25 a quarter but I like to consider my writing a career. :)

Happy Veterans Day!!!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

They always say write another book, but that's not what some of us want to do. You can continue finding ways to spread the word. Small ways that don't overwhelm but keep the momentum going.
Your father was one of the lucky ones.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - I'm glad we remember our Remembrance and Veterans Days ... my father certainly was badly affected by Dunkirk ... I know little, but my uncle mentioned it a few times.

Congratulations on your tour ... the little voice will whisper for you - we need to mull sometimes ... cheers Hilary

Karen Walker said...

Chrys, thanks so much. I'm saying it's not a career because I'm 66, not because of how much money I make or don't make - just for clarification
Alex, yes, I'm pondering some of those small things - thank you - and yes, my father was lucky he survived (and so am I, since I wouldn't be here if he didn't).
Hilary, it's so interesting that none of them talked about their experiences, isn't it?

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I always remember my father today.

Write again when you are ready to tell another story.

Crystal Collier said...

There are always the daily promotional efforts that continue after a book release--social media, periodic events to boost sales, promos and only events...

I echo everything you said about veterans.

Robin said...

A cloud of unknowing. I love that.

Very interesting how we become more peaceful with the idea of not knowing what comes next and that being okay.

Just enjoy the moment!

Karen Walker said...

Diane, me, too
Crystal, thanks for that good advice.
Robin, yes, I find that interesting as well