Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, December 4, 2015

the writing journey - part 4

This is a series of blog entries chronicling my journey towards publishing my novel.

Make a commitment to writing this story. Even if it's just five minutes a day. Find my own way each moment of each day. Be open to change. If something was working for awhile and then it stops working, change. Commitment is to stay connected to the process.

This was hard for me because I am a control freak and the story that was wanting to emerge made me feel out of control. I had to become willing to let go. The way I felt safe in the world was to be in control. I had to surrender to a higher consciousness.

Another thing that emerged around this same time was my inability to acknowledge my little successes. I began a journal, noting everything worthy of acknowledgement and found a way to reward myself that didn't include food. Buy a book, give myself a gold star and when I get to 10, buy something for myself, even if it's just as simple as downloading a song from iTunes. It became very important for me to acknowledge the ways I was moving forward, both with the story and in my personal growth. This included acknowledging missteps and learning not to beat myself up.

The lesson here for me was about losing control and holding my center and trusting myself - surrendering control to God. I had to learn that in doing this, I wasn't losing anything.

I also learned that I'll never be perfect. I recognized my own humanity. I could write from the negative place and channel what was going on with me onto the page. I could turn darkness into light on the page. Every piece of writing fed something else.

Writing my memoir reclaimed my power - my next step was to learn to stay in it. Writing the novel was my way to do that.

To be continued...

Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

Stephanie Faris said...

I've found it's important to try to find time every day to work at least a little on your story. Then it stays close to you. If you miss a few days, it can be tough to get back into it. If you're doing a little each day, you're keeping it on your mind and possibly thinking about it throughout the day.

Karen Walker said...

So true, Stephanie. It can be hard to get back into it if too much time passes.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - well done ... and am so pleased for you .. cheers Hilary

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Hillary

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I've been reeeeeeally bad about writing my next book. The idea still burns brightly inside of me, but I haven't done much about putting it down onto paper. Maybe next year? Maybe not. I'm glad YOU had the determination and willpower to complete your novel. :)

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Susan. You'll get to it. This one would not leave me alone.

Nicola said...

My best writing happens when I let go and not try so hard to control what appears on the page. My former writing tutor and dear friend taught me that. Because of it, I am enjoying my writing much more. Have a lovely weekend, Karen.

Karen Walker said...

That's wonderful, Nic. Letting go of control is so so hard for me. But the rewards are enormous. You have a great weekend as well

Suzanne Furness said...

I love it when I get so lost in my writing that it seems to come from a deep place within me. Makes me go all tingly. I think it happens as a consequence of letting go, something that is not always easy to do.

Karen Walker said...

Yes, Suzanne, I think you're right.

Arlee Bird said...

You're so right about that commitment. That's my biggest failing. I think I try to commit to too many things and consequently they all suffer.

Arlee Bird
Wrote By Rote

Karen Walker said...

OH, Lee, I've been so guilty of that. I think it's important to figure out what our priorities are and then devote our time and energy to the most compelling ones.