Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Feeling strange

I'm feeling so strange. I'm not working on a writing project. At all. Haven't since my novel came out at the end of October. Instead, I'm dancing 9-10 times a week (that includes Sugartime and Sophisticated Ladies practices). Some days I'm dancing 4 hours (two hours each practice). My body isn't used to this much physical activity. I spent two years not able to exercise because of my heart problem. Now that I don't have A-fib anymore, I can be more active, but my heartbeat still goes irregular if I get aerobic. The kind of dancing I do doesn't raise my heart rate enough to make it aerobic, which is a good thing.

I've never been athletic, although as a kid I played squash and some softball and rode a bike and roller skated. I don't do any of those things now. And I hate hate hate gyms so I don't do that. I've asked a good friend who is athletic and knows a lot about the body and exercise to help me come up with something I can do at home to strengthen my core and my legs. My legs are weak, especially the ankle I fractured in seven places in 2006. But I'm determined to get stronger. I know that as I age, this is very important to keep my mobility and functioning.

When I'm writing, that seems to take all my time, energy and attention and I don't have the energy for much else. Now I feel that way about all this physical exercise. I don't have the energy for writing.
Maybe someday I'll have the energy for both, but for now, I'm getting used to feeling strange about not writing.

Blessings
Karen

13 comments:

Arlee Bird said...

I'm like you in my own history of athleticism. My a-fib, which I never knew about until I was nearly 50, made exertion uncomfortable to me so I never did things that were too strenuous. Now I can walk with no problem and probably need to do that more often than I do.

No dancing for me, but it sounds like a good thing for you. To me dancing would indicate an outward expression of inner happiness and that seems like a positive thing. I'm sure you'll get back to the writing when the spirit strikes you to do so.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out
&
Wrote By Rote

Karen Walker said...

It's nice to have a partner in crime, Lee, although I wish we had a different kind of partnership (not A-Fib). Walking is great exercise. I need to do it more as well. I'm learning to trust this journey called life I'm on wherever and however it seems to take me.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - it's good you're putting your spare time to good use - then you can balance in the writing, or drafting as time goes on - take care - cheers Hilary

Robin said...

I don't know why it is... but it seems like when you get excited about doing one thing it tends to take over your life. Dancing is very healthy and emotionally very positive. I think it's great. (In point of fact I was just thinking about a half hour ago that maybe, just maybe, I should start taking ballroom dance lessons again!).

Charly Marlowe said...

Maybe you could write about dancing? Or a story about it? Just an idea.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Strengthen your body right now. Once that's fit, you'll be able to handle the exercise better and have some energy for writing when you're ready.

Stephanie Faris said...

Exercise is a great way to get that brain going! If you have any great ideas, jot them down and work on them later, when you feel like writing--even if it's months from now. Maybe your next book could be about a dancer?!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

It's amazing how something that only requires brain power can sap your physical energy.

Keep up with the exercise. It does give you more energy.

Karen Walker said...

Hilary, yes, I think that's how this will probably evolve.
Robin, if you love it, do it - it feeds the soul!
Charly, hmmm, perhaps...
Alex, yes, that's what feels right to me as well - get strong!
Stephanie, that's smart advice - I will keep a pad handy
Diane, yes, it is amazing, isn't it? Thanks, I intend to keep it up.

Murees Dupé said...

I know what you mean. I've been having the same problem. I just can't get in the writing groove. Also, I've never been a big fan of exercise. But these days my sister and I do Zumba. It is fun, but tough. Enjoy the dancing. Wishing you well.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Murees. You, too.

Nicola said...

The most important thing in life is to enjoy every moment. It sounds like the dancing is filling your heart with joy. So go with it, Karen. Be happy and stay healthy!

Gina Gao said...

Keep up with the exercise! This was a really thought provoking post, thanks for sharing.

https://ficklemillennial.wordpress.com/