Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Insecure Writer's Support Group - January

Welcome to 2016 and the first Wednesday of the first month of the new year for insecure writers everywhere. Thanks to Alex http://www.alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com for creating the Insecure Writers Support Group where we get to share our writing journey and meet others traveling this path. Please visit Alex to get the info on how to join and who else to visit.





I'm not writing. I'm not sure why. I'm not sure I'm insecure about it. It just feels weird. I'm really enjoying the freedom of not being a slave to a story. I'm reading more. I'm singing more. I'm contemplating more. My retreat from blogging and writing helped me immensely. I am doing some deeply personal, spiritual work and subtle shifts are occurring with issues I've struggled with all my life. I do believe I will write again. I will definitely write here on my blog as the spirit moves me to do so - to share insights, lessons learned, etc. from this incredible journey called life.

Wishing all of you a year where your intentions are met and your souls feel fulfilled.
Blessings,
Karen

27 comments:

Nicola said...

Happy New Year, Karen.

I'm pleased you are reading lots. I love to read and enjoy it just as much as writing.

Wishing you peace and harmony throughout the year.

Nick Wilford said...

Sometimes we need to do more of other things in order to nurture our muse when we come back to writing. It sounds like you're enjoying life, which is the most important thing.

authorcgcoppola.com said...

Hi Karen
I've beaten myself down with guilt over missing a day (or two or three) of writing. But sometimes a long break is exactly what I need. Not just to come back to my work with fresh eyes, but feeling refreshed all over. Sometimes we need time to explore our other creative outlets.

Wishing you a wonderful, blessed year!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Enjoy the time to do other things. You spent so long working on those two books. Go live a little.

L.G. Keltner said...

You've got to do what's right for you! I hope you have a wonderful year ahead of you!

Manzanita said...

Karen
You sound wonderful.....like a soft breeze bringing forth spring...... in place of this wintry winter. BUT.... the big but, days ARE getting longer..... 16 days into it already..... BUT who's counting? LOL Let us enjoy all of them...... every blasted day.
Love to you

Julie Flanders said...

It sounds like you are in a great place right now. I hope that peace continues well into the new year and beyond. Take care, Karen.

Karen Walker said...

Nicola, thank you - same to you, dear lady
Nick, I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right. I am enjoying life.
authorogcoppolla, oh, please don't beat yourself up with guilt. I've learnt it's such a waste of energy and don't serve me or anyone else around me.
Diane, yup yup yup
L.G. Wishing you the same. Thanks.
Manzanita, oooh, thank you. And you're right - the Light is coming.
Julie, I am in a good place, thank God. Thanks and same to you.

Chrys Fey said...

Sometimes we need a break from writing to rejuvenate ourselves and to remember other passions. Enjoy it! :)

Chrys Fey said...

Sometimes we need a break from writing to rejuvenate ourselves and to remember other passions. Enjoy it! :)

Bish Denham said...

I don't feel guilty about the long periods of time I can go without writing. I make up for it at other times. The words will come back to you when they need to be expressed, of this I am sure.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Write again when you're ready. I know I've taken breaks between projects.

Arlee Bird said...

That all sounds pretty good to me. I think that's called "enjoying life".

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

cleemckenzie said...

There is something to be said for not writing. And sometimes that's exactly what you must do--take a break.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I'm coming off a 2 week writing break, myself. :)

Crystal Collier said...

I get that. There are seasons when all I do is read, or all I do is write music, or all I do is teach children. The writing bug will come around again in its own time. Until then, enjoy the diversity.

emaginette said...

I go through this in December after NaNo and just need to rest for a while. Then, just when I think it will never happen again, I'm writing.

Anna from elements of emaginette

Karen Walker said...

Chrys, it's nice that I'm learning to trust my own rhythms. What a concept!
Bish, yes, I know this will happen when I'm ready
Alex, I think breaks are so needed!
Lee, Ha, yes, enjoying life.
CL, you're right - again, I'm enjoying the freedom immensely
Elizabeth, wow, that's a long break for you, isn't it?
Crystal, yes, I am - thanks
emaginette, yeah, never say never, right?

Loni Townsend said...

Sometimes a break is all we need.

Katty Wampus said...

We all need a break and to step back so we can see the trees in the forest.

Murees Dupé said...

Happy 2016! Wishing you much happiness. It is wonderful to hear that you are making so much progress in other aspects of your life. Don't worry, when you are ready to return to writing, you will write. For now, enjoy where life is taking you:)

Liza said...

Sometimes a step away is the best way to recharge. When you are ready, you'll get back to it. Happy New Year!

Diane Burton said...

Congratulations on recognizing the need to step back from writing. Fill up that well with all your reading and contemplating. Give your Muse a break. :) Best wishes for a wonderful 2016.

Michael Di Gesu said...

I haven't written for ages, and it's okay.... sometimes taking a break is a good thing because other things in life must take precedence...

Wishing you all the best for 2016!

Stephanie Faris said...

Think of this as your "recharging" period...like a smartphone needs to spend time on the battery charger sometimes! Plus, you wrote this blog...so you're writing!

M.R. R. said...

We all need time off. Enjoy yourself.

Kalpanaa said...

This sounds like an excellent thing to do specially after a period of intense writing. The main thing is one's attitude to not writing. Are you enjoying the break or consumed with guilt. If you're enjoying the break then it's what you're meant to be doing right now. I also find it useful to keep re evaluating where you are and what you want to do.