Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

a miraculous anniversary

It was 20 years ago today that hubby and I got married. For those of you who know me or have read my memoir, you know what a difficult journey I had in life until I arrived in New Mexico in 1994 and met hubby six months later. When I first landed here, I was suicidally depressed, broken in so many places, almost broke financially and absolutely convinced it wasn't possible to be happy...especially in a relationship.

It is mind-boggling to now be 20 years later and to have been proven wrong.  It may have been a rough road getting here, but the travel was necessary and the wait worth while. I am so grateful to you, dear husband, for the love we have created together. But most especially, for the unconditional love I feel from you which has helped me heal so many wounds. This marriage. This life with you. They are truly miraculous to me.

Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

Crystal Collier said...

Aw! How sweet. Happy anniversary!

Arlee Bird said...

Congratulations on 20 years together. The support of another caring person means so much to so many. Sadly there is not enough of this in our world today. May the two of you have many more good years together ahead of you.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

Mason Canyon said...

Congratulations on your anniversary, Karen. A caring partner does make life's road a lot easier to travel. Wishing you many, many more wonderful years together my friend.

Nicola said...

Congratulations! I am so pleased that you have found a happy place to live in, Karen. Life can be so testing and horrible at times. Keep taking those steps forward and smile every day.

Stephanie Faris said...

So beautiful...and so glad you found him. Yes, knowing your history did make reading The Wishing Steps much more powerful, knowing the struggles you went through yourself on your way to love.

Karen Walker said...

Aw, thanks, Crystal
Thanks, Lee, for the wonderful blessings
Mason, made all the difference for me.
Nicola, thanks, that's the plan.
Stephanie, wow, thanks.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - it has been an amazing journey and you are one lucky woman, as you realise ... and so blessed to have your wonderful husband - yet I bet he feels the same way for you ... here's to another 20+ years ... cheers Hilary

Charly Marlowe said...

Isn't it wonderful that you found each other? Congratulations on a well-deserved anniversary!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Happy anniversary! There was a reason you wound up in New Mexico. Always take the left turn at Albuquerque.

Karen Walker said...

Ah, Hilary, yes, I'm a very lucky lady indeed.
Charly, yes, wonderful for both of us - thank you!
Alex, ha, do you know I'm directionally dyslexic. It's amazing I found Albuquerque at all, despite it being a straight shot from LA on I-40. Thanks.

Murees Dupé said...

Happy Anniversary! You absolutely deserve lots of love and happiness. Wishing you two many more anniversaries to come.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Happy 20 years! What a blessing. And still so funny yo arrived in ABQ just before I left.

May 1 will be 25 years for Craig and I.

Karen Walker said...

Murees, thanks so much
Diane, yup, that is funny - 25 years - wow! I so admire people who found the right one the first time out of the gate.

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

Wonderful :-)

Happy anniversary, Karen!

Tabitha Bird said...

So very happy for you. X