Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Insecure Writer's Support Group - March

Thank you once again to Alex http://www.alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com for creating the Insecure Writer's Support Group, a place where writers come together to share our journeys.

Aside from the idea I share about last month and the writing the firs paragraph, I haven't touched the...I can't even say manuscript. I have to admit, I've been very busy. I planned and executed a 20th anniversary celebration, hosted my son and daughter in law, plus my sister-in-law and her husband, helped with the planning of a Sugartime celebration coming this April, and rehearse multiple times a week for Sugartime and Sophisticated Ladies performances. I could say I don't have time to write, but that wouldn't be true. I do. I just don't appear to be motivated right now to focus on it. And I'm totally okay with it.

You know, retirement, I think, it meant to be a time when your to-do lists can go out the window, when you don't have to do anything you really don't want to do. I know there are daily chores that must get done. Still have laundry, grocery shopping, preparing meals, etc. But besides that, our days are our own. We get to fill them however we want.

I also seem to need more "down" time than I used to. After rehearsing, sometimes twice a day, I don't want to concentrate that hard. I want to read a book or watch a movie, or play spider solitaire. Or play around on Facebook. Or read blogs.

So, I can't really say what's going to happen with my writing at this point. Being the kind of person I am, if it becomes important for me to do, I know I will do it.

And regarding insecurity -- for the first time in my life, I feel good about me. I am at peace inside myself. I am feeding my soul in ways that makes my heart sing. I have a feeling the writing will once again become a priority, but not sure when that will be. And that's okay.

Till next time...
Blessings
Karen

31 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

That is wonderful that you now feel this way.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

This is great news, Karen!

And I think I may look forward to retirement. :) Sounds amazing!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Feeling good about yourself is important.

Retirement? I wonder if I will ever hit a point where I'm not doing a ton of things.

Nick Wilford said...

You'll get back to the writing when the time's right. Sounds like the stuff you're involved with is very positive and fulfilling too.

Manzanita said...

It sounds so good to hear the positive words in your post. I haven't done
much blog reading lately so I've missed some of your posts. I looked back
at the anniversary pictures and your joy was contagious. I caught it. What
fun everyone was having. The pictures of you and hubby spread love. A
very handsome couple, I do say.
Tell the gal in the red polka-dot dress that I want her dress. LOL Well,
perhaps not now but I would have, maybe even 20 years ago. My kind
of dress I used to wear.
I am sooooo happy for you.

Karen Walker said...

Carole Ann, it's been a long time coming - thank you!
Elizabeth, it's pretty darn terrific!
Diane, didn't mean to mislead - still have tons to do, it's just not "work" related
Nick, they absolutely are fulfilling
Manzanita - ha - that gal in the polka dot dress is my singing/dancing partner in Sugartime. I'll make sure to tell her. So glad you "caught" the joy and love.

Rohn Federbush said...

I don't know how I had time to work now that I'm retired. No wonder I'm forgetful--too many things on my to-do list to remember more than the first two.

Nicola said...

So happy you've found your 'happy' place, Karen. About time too :) I adore your anniversary celebration photograph. You both look adorable and loved up. Have a lovely week.

C.D. Gallant-King said...

This is wonderful. Hopefully one day we can all be comfortable in our place like this.

IWSG March

Em-Musing said...

Wow! With all that you mentioned you did, I thought you were going to say you were stressed. Fabulous that you're happy. Being happy has been my goal since I was a kid. I'm at 100% happiness now because I know (at my age) not to stress the little stuff, take care of the big stuff as much as one can, and do what I love - or not - with no guilt.

Karen Walker said...

Rohn, ha, yeah, I can't believe how I make a list for groceries and still come back forgetting something.
Nicola, yes, my "happy" place - and thanks about the photo - hubs never takes a bad pic
C.D., hopefully people know how to do this before they retire!!
Em-Musing, well, I did stress a little right before the party - but that's allowed, right?

Rachna Chhabria said...

Feeling at peace with yourself is so important, Karen. Don't worry about the writing, it will happen, maybe slowly, but the words will get written.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you're feeling peaceful. So am I. We'll just chill for now.

Arlee Bird said...

I know what you're saying. Retirement seems almost as busy for me as when I was working. I know I could manage my time better, but I'm retired! I should be resting more.

You'll get to your stuff in your own time--as much as anyone ever does actually have our own time.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

Karen Walker said...

Rachna, that's the beauty, I'm not worrying at all - such a change for me!
Alex, yes, glad you are, too.
Lee, sounds good!

Lexa Cain said...

I'm so glad to hear you're happy. My retirement didn't go in that to-do-lists-go-out-the-window way either - at least not once I decided to become a writer. I really became more of a hamster running on a wheel, and no matter how hard I try I can't seem to get everything done. Happiness is the key to life. Thanks for sharing all about your busy life, and good luck with your performance! :)

cleemckenzie said...

I'm looking for that Stieglitz angle of repose. Glad you've found it.

Bish Denham said...

You're keeping busy and that's important. If writing takes a back seat for a while, as you say, that's okay too. Sometimes we need a break from it. I know I do.

Karen Walker said...

Lexa, hamsters may not be able to get off themselves, but perhaps we can! Thanks.
cl, hope you find it soon
Bish, it sure seems to be doing me some good.

Loni Townsend said...

Hooray! It's great to feel good about you!

Murees Dupé said...

It is amazing to hear you feel so good about yourself. I think you have a great attitude. You are definitely supposed to enjoy everyday doing what you want. Enjoy yourself. I'm sure you will get back to writing when the time is right. All the best.

L.G. Smith said...

Sounds like you're at a great place right now. Cheers, Karen!

Jennifer Lane said...

Great to hear you're enjoying retirement and being you! :-)

Stephanie Faris said...

It's interesting because many of the writers I knew who were so ambitious, getting books published with major publishers, etc., in their younger years now just write for themselves. Some indie publish, some just write and self publish. They have no need to make money, so writing takes on a different meaning. Since most writers never make money on fiction anyway, that's interesting!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - it's wonderful you had such a lovely time with family and were able to celebrate your 20 years together. It's great being able to do what you want when you want .. without the guilt feelings ..

Enjoy yourself and Sugartime sounds as though you're keeping very fulfilled that a-way ... cheers Hilary

Jemima Pett said...

Well done on treating your retirement properly! I'm so busy writing and blogging that I'm not retired at all. I should follow your lead... maybe next year when the current projects are done.

"We're called human beings, not human doings" Must take that as a life motto - but then I'm a Saturday's child, and I always took that seriously!

farawayeyes said...

I love your line about feeding your soul in a way that makes your heart sing'. I have got to get better at that.

Robin said...

I know my life is all about cycles. During some cycles I absolutely must write. There is a story in there that is bursting to get out. During others, I want to do anything else. Perhaps the key is to simply enjoy wherever we are when we're there!

Ann Best said...

What a busy lady you are. I'm so glad you're at peace. I am too, and it feels good. You'll write when you can and need to. You've written two wonderful full-length books, and that is a great accomplishment. You're a special friend. Wish we could get to Albuquerque to see you (and my son and his family) but, sigh, our traveling days are over. My son is going to have to come to Virginia...but he can't make it this year either.

Take care. Happy Sabbath!

Ann
http://anncarbinebest.com

Damyanti said...

That's a good place you're at, mentally. Al the best.

Denise Covey said...

Karen, nothing wrong with needing down time. I just wish I had enough time for down time. Your writing is still going on in your head while you do other things. And planning celebrations is fantastic! Lovely pics on facebook. Life is for living as the old true saying goes.:-)