Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, March 17, 2016

spirituality and fear

I'm afraid. There, I've admitted it. Now maybe I can let my fear go. I'm not a political person and this post will not be about politics. But I'm afraid because of what's going on politically in this country right now. I'm afraid because I guess I knew America still had issues like race and gender equality to deal with, poverty/hunger, etc. I just didn't know how prevalent racism and hatred still were. People are angry and probably have good reasons to be. But violence is not the answer to anger and fear. It only begets more violence.

Spiritual traditions teach us that we are either coming from a place of love or a place of fear and that our path is to learn to love. "Love your neighbor as yourself." "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you," etc. Don't judge. Be tolerant. Accept one another.

I'm struggling with not being judgmental. I'm struggling with coming from a place of love towards someone who makes my stomach curl inside out. I'm struggling with horror that so many Americans are listening to rhetoric that incites anger and violence.

Does history not teach us anything? Will we ever get over ourselves and become more enlightened beings? Martin Luther King said, "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." Where is the Light?

Here is my prayer. That the candidates find their way to the Light and begin behaving from a place of grace and dignity as befits the highest office in the land. That Americans eligible to vote go out and vote with their hearts, not their heads; with the candidate they feel will best help this country, and not by political affiliations and party.

This is all I can do about my fear. Give it to God and hope for the best regarding the outcome. Dear God, please shift the negative energy surrounding this election from fear to love.

Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We need some light because it is looking really dark right now.

Robin said...

I think this is an election cycle when many people will be casting a vote with very little joy. I hope that changes, but that's how it appears to me right now.

Karen Walker said...

Amen, Alex
We can only hope, Robin

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

We're scared over here, too. Regardless of who wins, this election has exposed something rotten.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

The candidates have sucked all the joy out of it this year. I don't think anyone will be happy with the winner.

Karen Walker said...

Paul, it's even scarier that other countries are scared as well.
Diane, yup

Arlee Bird said...

Much fear, doubt, and uncertainty comes from lacking education about issues and an unwillingness to listen with honesty and reasoned thinking. I'm amazed when I hear candidates say something that gets totally reinterpreted by the media and other candidates.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

Stephanie Faris said...

This is so accurate!!! I usually feel disgust during election season as candidates fight it out, but I've never been afraid for our country's immediate future as I am right now. i think we could seriously get into some big trouble if one of the candidates gets it. I do need to just turn it over to God and trust the outcome will be okay, but I just don't like the divisiveness I'm hearing in these campaign promises.

Better is Possible said...

Watching up here from Canada, and feeling the fear as well. Let me add an AMEN to your prayer.

Bish Denham said...

You are not alone in experiencing a gnawing fear. I feel that our long years of being at war have a lot to do with it. We need to get back to reaching out to other countries (if we insist on being a *controlling* intrest) with the open hand of compassion and a lot less with the closed fist of fear/anger.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

The people here in Germany are always asking me about my thoughts of what is going on politically back home...sometimes I am at a loss for words.

Misha Gericke said...

We're in a similar situation in South Africa, and it's terrifying when I think of it, so instead, I watch and trust that God will have the solution.

Nicola said...

Sending you all my thoughts and hope that brighter days will come soon. It's not that much brighter over here in Europe at the moment.

Tabitha Bird said...

Yes I feel your fear. It's not even my country, but I do love the USA. My son was born there. I pray for you guys. Hugs. X

-b9 said...

Dear, 'fear' is of the Devil: the world simply causes you anxiety, fear, stress cuz you as well as I he's damned and pissed; thus, the devil wants to make as many souls damned as well in that more!ons time left. Turn2God. He has absolutely no fear: you and I know where we're going after we perish. Straight-up, baby, to be withe King of Hearts forever - no mo fear eternally. Looky here...

Q: Can anyone tell me the difference between K2 and IQ? A: Nthn. In Seventh-Heaven, we gitt'm both for eternity HawrHawr Neeeed summore thots, ideers, raw wurdz or ironclad iconoclasms? Yay! Voila!

VERBUM SAT SAPIENTI: As an ex-writer of the sassy, savvy, schizophenia we all go through in this lifelong demise, I just wanna help U.S. git past the whorizontal more!ass! we're in (Latin: words to [the] wise)...

"This finite existence is only a test, son," God Almighty told me in my coma. "Far beyond thy earthly tempest is where you'll find tangible, corpulent eloquence" (paraphrased). Lemme tella youse without d'New Joisey accent...

I actually saw Seventh-Heaven when we died: you couldn't GET any moe curly, party-hardy-endorphins, blatant-extravagantly-surplus-lush Upstairs when my beautifull, brilliant, bombastic girly-girl passed-away due to those wry, sardonic satires.

"Those who are wise will shine as brightly as the expanse of the Heavens, and those who have instructed many in uprightousness as bright as stars for all eternity" -Daniel 12:3

Here's also what the prolific, exquisite GODy sed: 'the more you shall honor Me, the more I shall bless you' -the Infant Jesus of Prague.

Go git'm, girl. You're incredible. See you Upstairs. I won't be joining'm in the nasty Abyss where Isis prowls
thesuperseedoftime.blogspot.com
infowars.com
-YOUTHwitheTRUTH
-------------------------------
PS Need summore unique, uncivilized, useless names? Lemme gonna gitcha started, brudda:

Oak Woods, Franky Sparks, Athena Noble, Autumn Rose, Faith Bishop, Dolly Martin, Willow Rhodes, Cocoa Major, Roman Stone, Bullwark Burnhart, Magnus Wilde, Kardiak Arrest, Will Wright, Goldy Silvers, Penelope Summers, Sophie Sharp, Violet Snow, Lizzy Roach, BoxxaRoxx, Aunty Dotey, Romero Stark, Zacharia Neptoon, Mercurio Morrissey, Fritz & Felix Franz, Victor Payne, Isabella Silverstein, Mercedes Kennedy, Redding Rust, Phoenix Martini, Ivy Squire, Sauer Wolfe, Yankee Cooky, -blessed b9...

God blessa youse
(trust-in-Jesus)
-Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL