Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Saturday, April 30, 2016

what's next?

I took this last week to regroup and let me tell you, it was sorely needed. I made a list of all my activities and I meditated and prayed about each one to discern what my heart wants to keep doing and what I need to let go of. I did this because I haven't written anything since my novel came out in October and people, let me tell you, I'm not a happy camper when I'm not writing. Why? Because writing helps me make sense of my world. No wonder I was feeling muddled.

The result of this contemplation was that I needed to let go of this dance group I joined about six months ago, Sophisticated Ladies. It required two days of practice (two hours each one), plus extra time at home learning routines, plus going to gigs. This in addition to my three days per week (two hours each) and going to gigs for Sugartime. Plus the two different tap dance classes I'm taking. No wonder I had no energy to write!!!

The day I reached the decision to quit the group, the writing began to flow again. Ideas for a book (or series of essays) I had several years ago began to bubble up and demand attention. I am energized in ways I haven't been for quite awhile. I'll share a bit more about this project as soon as it fully gels in terms of what it wants to be.

Till then...

Blessings,
Karen

19 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Well done Karen - sounds like a good decision taken and made .. cheers Hilary

Mason Canyon said...

With all that going on, you definitely did have any extra time to write. Sounds like you made the right decision. Best of luck. Looking forward to seeing what projects are brewing.

Em-Musing said...

You're a busy lady, but you made a wise decision, especially if your writing was suffering.

Karen Walker said...

Hilary, thanks, not an easy decision, but surely the right one.
Mason, it was an energy issue. Determining what's an energy drain and what feeds me.
Em-Musing, yes, I think I did. Thanks.

Nicola said...

So happy to hear that Karen! Enjoy your new zest for writing!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You made the right decision then. Sometimes we have to let something go. Otherwise, we're doing too much and none of it very well.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Nic
Yup, Alex. That's what was happening.

Suzanne Furness said...

Sounds like the right decision for you, Karen. Enjoy your writing time.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

This sounds like such a smart decision! So glad that you're back to writing. :)

Arlee Bird said...

Smart decision to let go of the dance stuff. That's a time invest that is good for some things, in the end it doesn't reach your most important goals. Now on to the stuff you've gotta do. I wish you well going forward.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

Karen Walker said...

Suzanne, thanks, I'm confident I made the right choice.
Elizabeth. Thanks - time will tell, but I'm hopeful.
Lee, only letting go of one of the dance things - but it was a big one in terms of time. Thanks for the support.

mike spain said...

I wish you well on whatever you do next

Stephanie Faris said...

It's all about balance! That sounds like a HUGE commitment for dance. It sounds like fun, but in moderation! I wonder if an in-person writing group might be a better fit for your social activities? Maybe a critique group that meets over coffee once a week? I found when I was in one, it kept me writing because I felt like I had to bring something to the group every week! Meetup.com is a great way to find groups, although to find a smaller critique group that meets in person, often you have to start one on your own. (Maybe go to the big Meetup and draw a small group into a weekly meeting?)

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Mike.
Oh, Stephanie, thanks for this advice, but I don't do well in critique groups and I don't think I need motivation to keep me writing now that I've eliminated what was draining my energy. We'll see. If I find the writing isn't flowing, I'll consider your suggestion.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Hello, Karen! Sounds as if it was the right decision. Sometimes we have to let go of things that are taking time away from the things we love the most...

Karen Walker said...

So so true, Keith.

Bish Denham said...

Yeah! Let the floodgates open and the writing begin. I'm glad you found what you needed to let go of, kind of like removing that one log in a log jam... Have fun!

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

It's never easy making the decision to remove something from your life. I'm like you; I'm never content if I'm not working on a book. Good for you, making the decision to put more energy towards your writing. :-)

Elizabeth Alsobrooks said...

Wow, you go, girl! It just occurred to me recently that I was considered a "senior". I think your project sounds timely and exciting!