Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Insecure Writers Support Group - May

oops - almost missed this. Once again, kudos to Alex alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com for creating the IWSG - a place where writers come to support one another. Please visit Alex's blog for details.








I'm excited this month, not feeling at all insecure - yet. I've begun a new writing project. It's something that began years ago, while I was still caring for aging parents and in-laws. I did some interviews, jotted down notes, and then went to Ireland and Scotland on vacation and that damned voice, er, Muse, came and for the next six years I was a slave, er, was devoted to writing my novel.

Then, last week, I witnessed an exchange between a grandmother and her two granddaughters. Long story short, the girls said something, grandma responded. The girls laughed at her because her response was out of context to what they were talking about. There was no opportunity to tell them it was a hearing issue, not a cognitive issue because that would have embarrassed grandma. On the way home, the ideas began pouring out of me about how this country treats older people. The girls meant no harm. They didn't understand. I want to write a book about being a baby boomer who cared for aging parents and a baby boomer who is now considered a "senior" herself.

I don't know whether this will be a series of essays or a full length non-fiction guidebook, or what. At this stage, it's gestating and I'm opening myself up to what it's meant to be. I haven't felt this excited about a writing project in a long time.

How about you?

Blessings
Karen

21 comments:

Stephen Tremp said...

Karen, good luck with everything and just have fun with it. I'll be doing a lot of writing this summer and plan to finish at least one book.

June 2016 IWSG Co-Host
May the 4th Be With You
Stephen Tremp’s Breakthrough Blogs

Mason Canyon said...

Karen, I think the story idea is great. That is a topic that does need to be addressed as more and more of us are falling into that category. Can't wait to see what you create. Awesome!

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Stephen. This time i definitely plan to have fun while writing. Good luck with yours.
Mason, thank for the vote of confidence. I think it's timely as well.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - having those notes will be a good aide memoir when it comes to expanding and developing more ideas ... glad you're happily writing again - cheers Hilary

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I like the idea for your book. It's much needed now.

Karen Walker said...

Hilary, yes, I wish there were more notes, but it's a start.
Thanks, Diane. I think so, too.

Bish Denham said...

I think your idea is timely and needed. I was lucky/blessed to grow up in a community that revered it's elders so it is quite perplexing and disturbing to see how many of our aged Ps (thank you Dickens) are treated. If we love old trees because they are twisted and gnarled and scarred by life, then why don't we see our elderly the same way?

Chrys Fey said...

Yes, open your mind to this idea and let it take you where it wants to go. Enjoy this time! And good luck with it. :)

Karen Walker said...

Bish - love that about old trees. So true.
Chrys, thanks

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you're excited about writing again! Took just the right project.

Brandon Ax said...

That is awesome that you are energized. I think it is an important issue. I remember being a kid and going to what we called"The old folk's home". I think my love of story and writing came from those times.

Piper Presley said...

Ageism is alive and well, especially in the United States.

Piper Presley
Returns: Insecure Writer's Support Group

Murees Dupé said...

Congratulations, Karen. What a great idea. Definitely exciting. I hope you enjoy writing your new project.

Rebecca Douglass said...

Great idea, and I'm with you--I love that earliest stage of ideas running around my head hollering for attention :) Have fun!
Rebecca at The Ninja Librarian

Karen Walker said...

Hey, Alex, I think you're right.
Brandon, yeah, I hate that expression.
Piper, it sure is.
Murees, thanks so much
Rebecca, yeah, it's kind of fun to let it evolve.

Julie Flanders said...

Congratulations on another project! How wonderful that you are feeling so excited about it. Even better that this is clearly an important issue that you are writing about and you have the potential to help others with your writing. Can't beat that. Good luck and happy writing. :)

Nick Wilford said...

That sounds like a great project that should chime with a lot of people. Good luck with it!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Yay for being excited about your writing project! It sounds like a great idea.

Karen Walker said...

Hey Julie, you, too!!
Nick, thanks
Shannon, yeah, it's good to have energy around this again.

Stephanie Faris said...

That surge of adrenaline when you have a new exciting idea? Nothing like it! Congratulations and keep going!

Liza said...

Given that I work for a senior center, this concept sounds intriguing!