Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Insecure Writers Support Group - June

Oops, I almost forgot to post this month. Once again, thank you, Alex, for starting this amazing group. To find Alex and info about us, please go to http://www.alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com

After an initial flurry of enthusiasm and energy around a new writing project, I am once again stuck. But I've learned that stuck doesn't necessarily mean something bad. It might mean I'm mulching something unconsciously. Or it might mean perhaps I'm off on a slightly wrong track.

In order to find out exactly why I'm stuck, I'm going on retreat next week - someplace with no phone or TV, just my laptop, notebook, and me. There is another project lurking in my consciousness that might need to take precedence over the one I thought I would write. The only way for me to know, s to get quiet and allow the images and words to come.

How about you?
Blessings
Karen

28 comments:

Nick Wilford said...

That sounds like heaven. Hope your break allows you to see which way to go!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

It sounds wonderful. I wish I could unplug long enough to finish what I'm working on.

Karen Walker said...

Nick, thanks - I'm hoping for some direction anyway
Oh, Diane, perhaps you can unplug just a little bit - it is so rejuvenating.

Suzanne Furness said...

That sounds wonderful, Karen. I hope the inspiration flows. Let us know how it goes.

Chrys Fey said...

Being stuck can be a bummer, but you're right that it means that you're working something over. Once you do, you'll be back at it. I hope that time is soon! Enjoy your retreat! :)

Nicola said...

Hope your break lets your mind free :) Have a lovely 'me' time, Karen.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hope the right thing comes to you in your quiet time.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Suzanne
Chrys, actually, didn't feel like a bummer - felt like a process.
Thanks, Nic and Alex

Bish Denham said...

Mulching... what a great way to describe the process. Enjoy the time alone with your notebook and laptop. Whether you find where you're stuck or begin something new, it will no doubt be productive. Remember to have fun and breathe!

Jacqui said...

That retreat sounds fun. Nothing but writing for a weekend? What's wrong with that? Now don't clean the cabin instead!

Karen Walker said...

Bish, Ha!
Jacqui, I promise!

Mason Canyon said...

Karen, the retreat sounds like the perfect way to unwind and let your creativity flow. Have fun and happy writing.

Arlee Bird said...

If I did retreat I probably wouldn't really write. I should, but I probably wouldn't. That's the harsh reality of my life. Actually it's not really all that harsh. At least I'm blogging. This comment is writing. Kind of, in a way.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Mason.
Lee, ha, you're right.

C.D. Gallant-King said...

I am envious of people who can shut off the world, hide and write. I'm not at a place in my life I can do that right now. Enjoy and good luck!

C.D. Gallant-King said...

I am envious of people who can shut off the world, hide and write. I'm not at a place in my life I can do that right now. Enjoy and good luck!

Elizabeth Alsobrooks said...

What a great idea! I hope it shakes the cobwebs loose!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Good luck on the retreat! I hope you get the unadulterated writing time you need, and you figure your way past the blockage.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - I know how you value your Retreat time and it restores you ... settles the mind and lets you see what's needed - but that's great with two projects on the go ... enjoy the writing - cheers Hilary

Karen Walker said...

C.D., it's hard when you can't find time for just you - I hope you can find a few moments at least.
Elizabeth, thanks
Shannon, I hope I use the time wisely - I've been known to waste it in the past.
Hilary, thanks so much -

Sharon Lippincott said...

Follow the whispers!

Pat Garcia said...

Beautiful. That the way it is with me also. When I am stuck or don't know whether I am taking the right path, then I need to get away to myself. I need to be alone, no people. Just me and my iPad, MacBook, and my mobile, even though my mobile is turned off.

Good luck with getting back in touch with where you want to go with your story.

Shalom aleichem,
Patricia

Karen Walker said...

Ahh, Sharon, yes. Even though I've written two books with that theme, I still have lessons to learn about it.
Pat, thanks so much.

Robin said...

It's good to get away. Free your mind from the distractions of everyday life. I bet you'll get unstuck and figure out where your story is supposed to go!

Olga Godim said...

Writing retreat - how nice. Hopefully, it will restart your creative juices.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

A retreat with no phone or TV sounds like my idea of paradise...

Stephanie Faris said...

Curious to hear how the retreat went. That sounds like a great way to get things done!

Carol Kilgore said...

Hope you discover what you need. Just let your mind wander. Then pay attention as your falling asleep and waking up. A retreat sounds awesome!