Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Plugging along

It's been awhile since I've written a new post. I didn't realize how little I've been blogging until just the other day. I do read your blogs, but I haven't been commenting much either. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I'm not really writing anything right now. I'm collecting submissions for the anthology I'm working on, but those are just trickling in. Perhaps it's because I don't want to just put something out here just for the sake of having a post. I want what I say to have some meaning to those who read it. Perhaps because, for the first time in my life, there are no major "issues" I'm working on. Oh yes, I'm still trying to lose a few pounds, but that's no big deal in the scheme of things. And I have an ache here and stiffness there. Again, no big deal. I'm still taking tap dance lessons and loving it. I'm still doing Sugartime (my singing duo--we perform at retirement communities). Both of those activities feed my soul on so many levels. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm more at peace emotionally than I've ever been. Perhaps I can begin to write about that...hmmm.
Anyway, how about you? Where are you in your life and are you at peace?
Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If you're in a good place, then that's great!

Stephanie Faris said...

I love that you're performing. How fun!!! I have a writer friend who retired to Florida and now she performs in local theater. She still writes, but she also does so many other artistic things. I think that's amazing. Writing is my only real talent, but if I had the skill for it, I'd love to perform!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - that's such good news ... just enjoy. I'm working on my entry - well thinking about it!

Cheers Hilary

Mason Canyon said...

Being in a good place is all that counts. You do what feels right for you. Sounds like you're having a good time. It's time to just enjoy life for a change. Things will come when they should.

Thoughts in Progress
and MC Book Tours

Rohn Federbush said...

At age 76 I no longer consider contentment a bash of boredom instead of a proof of peace.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Alex.
Stephanie, talent is a strong word. We bring joy, I know that for sure.
Hillary, great that you're thinking about it - thanks.
Mason, I appreciate these words so much.
Robin - beautiful thought here.

Karen Walker said...

oops, meant Rohn, not Robin in last comment.

Nicola said...

So pleased life is being kind to you, Karen. Take good care.

D.G. Hudson said...

Enjoy the peaceful break. I'm working on the draft of an entry for the anthology, just to get the words on paper.

I'm not entirely at peace because although hubs and I are getting into a routine with his care, my older daughter has decided to move to Ontario (we live in British Columbia, Canada). I left home and went to another country when in my twenties, so what can I say, but good luck?

Karen Walker said...

Hi Nicola, thanks - you take care as well.
Hey, D.G. Yeah for a draft. Can't wait.

Arlee Bird said...

I've been experiencing a serious ennui of late, but it's been coming on for a while. And I haven't forgotten about my contribution to your anthology. I just have to get some motivation going.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Karen Walker said...

No worries, Lee. Take your time.

LD Masterson said...

You're right - if trying to lose weight and achy knees were good blog topics, I'd have a wealth of material. Unfortunately...or maybe fortunately... My only lack of peace comes from being too far behind on too many things. Including my offering for your anthology. But I'm catching up, I promise.

Olivia Rose said...

Hugs. Hope you are having great weekend.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Same here, Karen. If I post once a month I count it as good, just trying to keep the blog alive. Every so often I get the urge to go visiting other blogs but it seems like hardly anyone is keeping them up like before. I'm not sure what that says about the future of blogging!