Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Insecure Writer's Support Group - January

Here we are. Our first IWSG for 2017. Thank you Alex: http://www.alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com for creating this group and keeping it going. For those who don't know, here is a place where we can share our process and get support wherever we are on our writerly journey. Please visit Alex's blog for all the info on how to join.






I'm not feeling insecure. Yeah!!! My one and only intention for 2017 is to get physically strong. I realized that if my body isn't healthy and strong, than nothing else I want to accomplish will be possible, so I joined a gym, hired a trainer whom I will work with for a year, and hopefully, that will get my body as strong as it can possibly be. I don't want bodybuilding kind of muscles. Just strength and flexibility so that as I age I can take care of myself in the best way possible.

How this ties in with writing? Energy! I need to feel vital. I choose vitality, not sitting on the couch watching movies all the time when I'm not writing or singing or dancing. I need energy for everything I want to do. And if my body's not feeling strong and healthy, I don't have energy to do everything I want to do.

I'll leave you with my first experience at the gym. I did a water aerobics class. I didn't wear my glasses in the pool. I left them in the locker. When the class was over, I walked into the locker room. Three men stood there and covered their private parts. I stood in shock for a few seconds asking myself, "What's wrong with this picture." Then I realized what I'd done and turned around and walked back into the pool area. The women in the pool all applauded me. I laughed and walked into the women's locker room, thinking if that's the worst that happens to me at the gym, I'll be all right. What's kept me from joining a gym in the past is fear of hurting myself.

What about you?
Blessings
Karen

33 comments:

Nick Wilford said...

Great story! At least all involved can laugh about it. You've definitely got the right attitude and I wish you well on keeping up your fitness regime throughout the year. You can do it!

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Nick.

Nicola said...

Happy new year, Karen!! I like your positive thinking. I need to work on my physical health also this year. A string of doctors appointments will lead me in the right direction, I hope. Many blessings to you for a lovely, happy and healthy new year.

Pat Garcia said...

Happy New Year!
I'm cracking up. That was an excellent way to start the year. You'll be laughing at that for a long time.
Wishing you an awesome 2017.
Shalom aleichem,
Pat Garcia

Karen Walker said...

Good luck with that, Nic. I'm already in overwhelm but I'm committed to this.
Pat, I need to remind myself to laugh at everything. I take myself way too seriously.

Jemi Fraser said...

So funny!!!!
Body and mind are interconnected - making one strong will help the other. Great goal. Good luck with it! :)

Jennifer Hawes said...

Glad you are getting fit! I do believe it correlates with our writing patterns and levels of enthusiasm. Good luck!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Bet you gave them a shock!
Going to the gym not only keeps me in shape but it keeps my energy levels up. Keep at it.
Happy 2017!

Nicki Elson said...

With an attitude like yours, you can't lose. I'm sure you gave all those men a fun memory, too!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

LOL I love it.

I want to get into better shape and strengthen, too. We might be getting a pool soon and I need to get my body ready for it.

Jacqui Murray said...

That's a good story. I can decipher the icons better than the words without my glasses. I applaud you also!

Andrea Franco-Cook said...

LOL Karen, sounds like you had an interesting first experience. Best of luck in the New Year

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Good for you! I used to work out at least five mornings a week, but I fell off that horse when my husband retired and never got back on it again. I should. Medicare even offers free membership at a number of gyms in our area. Unfortunately, doing diddly squats every day isn't doing a thing to increase my energy or tighten my flab. :)

Your first experience at the gym is a hoot. Sounds like something I'd do. I've walked into quite a few men's rooms while running my mouth instead of paying attention to what I was doing, but no locker rooms so far. You've got me beat!

Happy New year!

Patsy said...

I agree that if we can stay fit and healthy that's likely to help with a lot of things, including writing.

cleemckenzie said...

Without my exercise I can't think, so I totally agree. Good luck with sticking with it throughout 2017.

Mandy 'n' Justin said...

Oh my goodness! Sounds like this year is off to a great start for you! Love that the women in the pool applauded you. And funny that you had to think for a moment why there were men in the "women's locker room". I guess you won't make that mistake again. :)

Ellen @ The Cynical Sailor said...

That's hilarious!! Yay for you that you don't have any writing insecurities :-) That's a great way to start the new year.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Snickering . . . sorry. We have an "open" policy at our local YMCA for non-gender specific bathrooms and showers, so I don't even have to walk into the "wrong" room for that expeerience.
Best wishes on getting strong and having energy!!!

Victoria Marie Lees said...

You are a brave woman who knows what she wants and better, what she needs. All the power to you, my dear. I've joined your blog and wish you all the best in 2017.

Carol Kilgore said...

Great story, Karen! Here's to you getting fit and filled with energy in this new year. You rock!

Sarah Foster said...

Haha, that's a great story! I'd be mortified! Good luck with everything this year!

Lynda R Young said...

Energy has a big impact on creativity, so what you are doing is perfect. Wishing you the best. Me? I hope to lose weight and keep it off. That too will give me more energy.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - good luck with the exercise ... such an important facet of life ... love the story about the men - well you'll be a catch! Take care - and all the best for 2017 - Hilary

Karen Walker said...

Thanks for all the votes of confidence. And Lynda, losing weight is part of it for me as well. Not exercising for several years didn't serve me well. I mean, I danced, but it wasn't enough.
Happy 2017 everyone!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Good for you, Karen! I know you are going to pull it off.... just remember to wear your glasses... lol

ALL the best for the new year!

I, too am going for the health and fitness. I was in perfect shape in 2015 and had been for years, but alas, 2016 I fell apart, gained a ton from stress and unhappiness and now for this year I am BACK on TRACK! So let's do this together and become healthy and strong again... As you said, we can not accomplish anything if our bodies are not healthy....

Take care and don't overdo it....

Bish Denham said...

Good for you for going to the gym! I've been doing water aerobics for about 18 years now, I also do yoga. Both are great ways to keep fit, strengthen the core and stay flexible.

As for walking into the men's room... As my father would have said, "If you haven't seen it before, throw a rock at it." :D

Julie Flanders said...

Haha what a great story! I can totally see myself doing something like that. Kudos to you for joining the gym. Here's to a healthy, strong year!

Murees Dupé said...

Happy 2017, Karen! Oh, wow. You handled that really calmly. I would probably have screamed like the girl I am:) I agree with you about health. I took mine for granted and now regret it. My goal for 2017 is to get healthier too. Have a wonderful year with lots of joy and excellent health.

lilicasplace said...

Happy New Year, Karen! That's hysterical what happened in the gym. You're right. If that's the only issue you have this year, you're good. :) Eva, IWSG co-host #60

Tabitha Bird said...

Ha! That made me smile! All the very best with your goals this year. xx Tab

Natalie Aguirre said...

Fun story. I've accidentally walked into the men's restroom before too. Good luck with focusing on health. Me too. I walk outside as much as the weather permits.

Lexa Cain said...

The men's room! OMG what an adventure! What the heck - it was probably their biggest thrill of the day! Good for you for going to the gym and deciding to make your health a priority. Good luck with it and gaining energy to pit into your future projects. Have a great week!

Jen Chandler said...

Happy new year (a wee bit late)!

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. It's been a long time since I wandered your way and for that, I am sorry. Glad to hear the things are going well for you. And good for you, joining the gym! I've been thinking a lot about returning to yoga this year. It's my goal to do something active everyday, even if it's just a little pose or two. My body doesn't cooperate for too much exercise, but like you, I want to age as gracefully and as strong as I can! Sounds like you're on the right track.

Cheers,
Jen