Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

A feeling of accomplishment...


Besides my own post today, I'm guest posting on Stephanie's blog: http://stephie5741.blogspot.com/2017/03/introducing-still-me-by-karen-helene.html

Please stop by and visit her.

How do you feel when you've accomplished something major? Exhilarated? Ecstatic? Exhausted? Just plain happy?

Seeing "Still Me...After All These Years" out in the world makes me feel peaceful inside my soul. It is a book my heart called out to me to write some 10 years ago after caring for my aging father and then my mother-in-law, and then two friends who had no family to help them. I saw so much in the aging process that wasn't being talked about. But other projects took precedence. Then, last year, while on retreat with a friend, I thought about making the project an anthology, rather than me spouting on about aging. The rest, as they say, is history.

It wasn't an easy project. But when you are doing something you know in your heart is important, that doesn't matter. You just keep putting one foot in front of the other until you get to the last step. Well, here we are at the last step. This is the result.

Here's my hope for this book. That it will find its way into the hands of those who are struggling with aging in some way. Perhaps you're dealing with an aging parent - there are essays in this book that will help you understand what that parent is experiencing. Perhaps you are dealing with some aspect of aging yourself. Each of the 24 writers wrote about a different issue. That is the beauty of an anthology. You get different perspectives on the same topic. You're sure to find some kernel of wisdom that might help you.

I am so grateful to those in the blogging community who chose to participate in this book. Their wisdom and grace and sense of humor helped make this book special. To my friends and family members who do not write regularly, oh my God - I'm so blown away by the writing - perhaps you should write regularly. You're good at it! To Mark David Gerson and Kathleen Messmer - without you, this never would have happened!

So, yes, I feel peaceful inside. Because I listened to my heart and made something happen that I hope will be helpful to someone who needs a burst of wisdom or inspiration when dealing with a difficult issue - aging.

Here are the links to where you can purchase "Still Me...After All These Years."

Amazon:


Many many blessings to you and yours
Karen

PS - THERE'S A GIVEAWAY - PLEASE CLICK ON THIS LINK FOR A CHANCE TO WIN!http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/share-code/MDE5YjMyZjhkNzkwOWZlOTRlOGNmZTI4YmUwNjg5OjMwNw==/?

The giveaway ends at 12 a.m. (EST) on Tuesday, April 4

FOR THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED, HERE IS THE TOUR SCHEDULE FOR "STILL ME...AFTER ALL THESE YEARS" through MC Book Tours.

March 20 – Alex J. Cavanaugh – Guest Post
Random Thoughts – Excerpt
Valerie Capps, Short Story Author
March 21 – Stephanie Faris, Children’s Author – Guest Post
Author Karen Walker…Following the Whispers
March 22 – Scattergun Scribblings – Guest Post and Feature
LD Masterson
March 23 – What Is That Book About – Excerpt
Patricia Stoltey, Author
March 24 – The Heart and Craft of Life Writing – Interview
I Think: Therefore, I Yam
March 27 – Just Jemi – Excerpt
Celticlady’s Reviews – Excerpt
Juneta @ Writer’s Gambit – Interview
Necessary Madness: A Writer on the Road
March 28 – Thoughts in Progress – Excerpt
March 29 –The Story of a Writer – Feature
Mark David Gerson
March 30 – Mello & June, It’s A Book Thang – FeatureMello & June, It’s A Book Thang – Feature
March 31 – Reviews by Crystal – Interview
Book Reviews by Pat Garcia



17 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

Congrats, Karen on a book that speaks to people on so many levels. To me, the book enforces the fact that while we sometimes think we're facing getting older alone, we're not alone. Others have the same hopes, dreams, and fears we do.

Pat Garcia said...

And I am happy that you followed your heart and kept working toward the fulfilment of Still Me...After All These Years. Your tenacity, your perseverance, and your willingness to take a risk on writers who had never been published makes this anthology even sweeter. This book has life. It spreads hope, and it gives courage and encouragement, and it is all because you followed your dream.

I am happy for you, Lady. You're an awesome woman.

Shalom aleichem,
Pat G

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Good for you Karen - it's great it's out there for us all ... cheers Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You made it happen - be proud of your efforts!

Karen Walker said...

Mason, that's such an important piece - we're not alone! Thanks for all your help with the book tour.
Pat, that's my hope for it - thanks
Hilary, you're so sweet thanks
Alex, I am so so proud - thank you!

Valerie Capps said...

Great job, Karen! Thank you for allowing me to participate. You deserve a month at a Carribean Resort after all the work you did to bring your idea to fruition.

Karen Walker said...

Ha. Maybe after all the promotion is done - thanks, Valerie

LD Masterson said...

You did an awesome job on this. *stands and applauds*

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Following your heart can lead to some amazing things, as your anthology proves. Great job, dear lady!

Karen Walker said...

LD, aww thanks
Susan, thank you
Thank you both for everything

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Congrats Karen and all the other authors who undertook this anthology. Writing is often tough, especially when you have to organize as a group.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Sheena-kay - you're so right!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm juggling my 7th anthology right now, so I know where you're coming from! But it's worth it. Congrats, Karen.

Nick Wilford said...

Glad you stuck with it. It's a great feeling when a project finally comes together.

Karen Walker said...

Diane, 7? My hats off to you, young lady!
Nick, I'm glad, too. It is a wonderful feeling.

Stephanie Faris said...

Having worked with six authors on a book, I can definitely say it's a LOT of work. And you're working with triple the number of authors!!! I always compared our group project as "wrestling an octopus!" I'm not sure what yours would be like in that analogy!

Karen Walker said...

It was like wresting 3 octopuses (octopi?), Stephanie