Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Saturday, March 25, 2017

an interview

This is an interview Sharon Lippincott of The Heart and Craft of Life Writing http://heartandcraft.blogspot.com did as part of the blog book tour.

What motivated you to take on this project?
It really began when I had to care for my aging dad and then my mother-in-law. I saw what aging does first-hand and began to think about what would happen when I got older. Then an 88-year-old friend made the comment, “I don’t see me anymore when I look in the mirror.” That really stuck with me. While on retreat with a friend, it came to me that putting together an anthology about aging might be inspiring and helpful to those of us who are already seniors, as well as those caring for aging parents.
What value do you find in a variety of viewpoints?
It surprised me when I began receiving submissions that each writer chose a different aspect of aging. I’d been afraid I’d have to reject submissions because they were too similar. Other than surprise at the various viewpoints, I learned a lot from how others think about the aging process as well as how they deal with the issues.
What have you learned about life and aging from this experience?
That I’m not alone. That each and every one of us is at some point in the aging process. That aging is not a choice, but living is. That none of us knows when our time will be up, but we can choose how we use the time we have left. I’ve learned that our attitude about what life hands us is crucial to maneuvering through this process with grace and dignity.
This book seems like a huge project, from soliciting entries to editing, to laying it all out and publishing. This may be like asking a woman who just gave birth if she wants another child, but ... do you think you'd do it again? 
Sheesh. It is like labor pain where the memory of the pain diminishes with time. Working on the anthology was a very rewarding process, especially seeing the end result. There were challenges, though, especially having to reject submissions. As a writer, telling a person I couldn’t use their work was one of the toughest challenges I’ve ever faced. Would I do it again? Perhaps. If I did, the subject matter would have to overpower the reasons why I wouldn’t want to, which at this point would be mostly financial. It was costly to produce this book. 
I’d like to take this opportunity to thank all the contributing authors for their hard work and diligence in making the necessary edits, but most especially for their wisdom and humor in tackling this most difficult topic. And thanks to Mark David Gerson for his wise counsel in editing and his amazing book design. And lastly, thanks to Kathleen Messmer for her wonderful photography
Do you have any thoughts in closing?
These words from Tom Clancy seem to sum things up: 
Success is a finished book, a stack of pages each of which is filled with words. If you reach that point, you have won a victory over yourself no less impressive than sailing single-handed around the world.
FOR THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED, HERE IS THE TOUR SCHEDULE FOR "STILL ME...AFTER ALL THESE YEARS" through MC Book Tours.


March 27 – Just Jemi – Excerpt
Celticlady’s Reviews – Excerpt
Juneta @ Writer’s Gambit – Interview
Necessary Madness: A Writer on the Road
March 28 – Thoughts in Progress – Excerpt
March 29 –The Story of a Writer – Feature
https://www.markdavidgerson.com
March 30 – Mello & June, It’s A Book Thang – FeatureMello & June, It’s A Book Thang – Feature
March 31 – Reviews by Crystal – Interview
Book Reviews by Pat Garcia

PS - THERE'S A GIVEAWAY - PLEASE CLICK ON THIS LINK FOR A CHANCE TO WIN!http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/share-code/MDE5YjMyZjhkNzkwOWZlOTRlOGNmZTI4YmUwNjg5OjMwNw==/?

The giveaway ends at 12 a.m. (EST) on Tuesday, April 4

10 comments:

Bish Denham said...

Discovering how each of the contributors looks at aging must have been an interesting journey. And I hear you about the cost of getting a book out... still we persist!

Congratulations, Karen, and to all the contributors.

Karen Walker said...

It was incredibly interesting, Bish. I really thought folks would talk about the same things - but even if they did, they had such different takes on it. Thanks so much for your support.

cleemckenzie said...

Clancy's words do sum this adventure up very well. I'm looking forward to reading your anthology.

Jemi Fraser said...

It's a lot of work for sure!
So glad to be hosting today :)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Great interview! (Great book!) You did well, Karen. You should feel very good for accomplishing what you set out to do. Thanks for letting me be a small part of it.

Nick Wilford said...

Great interview! It was interesting to read more about the background to your producing this book. And "ageing is not a choice, but living is" - that's just as inspiring a quote as the one you picked out.

Karen Walker said...

CL, yes, it's one of my favorite quotes, especially being a self-published author.
Jemi, thanks so much for helping us out
Susan, thanks so much - I do feel good about this accomplishment - and I love your contribution
Nick - thanks - that quote is the title of my essay in the anthology -

Murees Dupé said...

This is such a powerful project. Ageing is something we all will indeed have to deal with. Congrats, Karen.

Stephanie Faris said...

Aging is a PRIVILEGE. Not everyone gets to do it. I think of friends who died way too young and will never get the chance to shriek at the wrinkles they see in the mirror and it does make me see aging as a more positive thing.

Karen Walker said...

Murees, thanks so much
Stephanie - that is not something I've heard said before - and I totally agree with you. I've lost friends way too young as well - every day should be a blessing