Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

ISWG - April

It's that time of month again. Please visit Alex at http://www.alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com for details about the group and how to join.

Whew! What a month or so this has been. Anthology done. Blog book tour Done. Several events set up for the next few months at senior centers and retirement communities and one at a local bookstore.  I have had no time or energy for anything but promoting the anthology and my Sugartime activities. Am I insecure? Nope. Perhaps that's part of the whole aging thing. The more time goes on, the less I worry about outcome. I'm much more aware of what I can and can't control. And I certainly can't control whether someone will like the anthology or not. As a matter of fact, a funny thing happened. A close friend was reading it and told me she thought one of the essays wasn't as well written as the others. A few days later another good friend told me she thought a particular essay was extremely well written and the subject matter really spoke to her. Guess what? They were talking about the same essay.  Valuable lesson there - our differences. All we need to learn is not judge the differences. Just accept them and try to find a middle ground somewhere.

How about you?

Blessings
Karen

22 comments:

Michelle Wallace said...

A wonderful lesson on accepting our individual differences. No two people are the same...or think the same.
We have differing perspectives based on our different needs, likes\dislikes, experiences, lifestyles etc.
Who gets to decide that your opinion is right and mine is wrong?
Happy IWSG Day!
Writer In Transit

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's great that you've learned to not get stressed about things you can't control. That's a lesson in life that I'm still struggling with.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Senior centers and retirement communities are the perfect place to put you and your book in front of your target audience. Good job.

That difference of opinion just proves that nothing is for everyone.

Karen Walker said...

Michelle, yes - absolutely right. No one gets to decide those things.
Natalie, I'm still learning it, but with more success than I used to have.
Diane - thanks for your support

Pat Garcia said...

Hi Karen,
Each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Depending on the day or time or where that person stands in life, the anthology will be liked or disliked. And that is okay. We are all allowed to think differently.
Take care.
Shalom aleichem,
Pat

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Karen,

Not surprised at all... READING has always been SUBJECTIVE! Can't please everyone. So we do the best we can to find that MIDDLE ground. Wishing you much success with the Anthology!

Karen Walker said...

Pat, yes, that is true - we just need to learn to accept each others' differences
Michael - YES! and a special thanks to you for being you

Arlee Bird said...

Funny how tastes can vary widely. It's like movies or music that I might like a great deal while someone else will think they're terrible. Taste and perception are very personal experiences.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

cleemckenzie said...

You have had a very busy schedule! As to judging others...it's so easy to do that, but acceptance is so much more pleasant for everyone.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Funny two people had completely different opinions on that one piece. Can't please everyone.

Chrys Fey said...

You are slaying it! Keep it up!

Our differences are a funny thing, indeed. What one person loves, another could hate.

I.B. Nosey said...

I admire your not being stressed, but think that's the right approach.Hoping I can eventually apply that to myself.

And it's cool (and downright funny) how two people have two different outlooks, but that's kinda what it's all about too, isn't it? :)

Nicola said...

That just proves writing is subjective :) We all need to remember that. Karen, I am so pleased you have bags of energy and life is being kind. You deserve the best. Stay happy, and thank you so much for popping over to my blog and giving me so much encouragement. I really appreciate it. Take care and keep up with the 'feel good' factor.

Karen Walker said...

Yes, Lee, they sure are
Acceptance is the key to everything,Lee - or most things at any rate
Alex, it was a huge lesson
Chrys, ha! I don't feel like a dragon
I.B. I have to constantly be vigilant about my mood and catch when I'm stressing - it's a work in progress
Nicola, yup, it sure does show us all not to try to please anyone else, but write what we need to write

Elsie Amata said...

That's a very valuable lesson. When I had someone read my WIP, I had one person tell me it needed a ton of work while someone else said, it only needed minor revisions.

Chris Votey said...

I see this quiet often among new writers. They're so desperate for a good review from a beta reader, they will often ignore the advice from someone who says it is less than perfect. You need to take all advice seriously, and not just focus on the positive. When I gave my last book to an editor, I really wanted to say she just didn't understand what I was going for, but I took a step back and said to myself, "If she points this out, then perhaps a reviewer might as well, and give me a low rating because of it." Most of what she suggested, I changed. A few things I kept.

Karen Walker said...

Elsie, that's the crux of it, isn't it?
Chris, so true - we need to put our egos away in the editing phase and learn to trust our own instincts as well as the instincts of those we are seeking feedback from.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I agree, Karen. If we could get everyone to do that, wouldn't life be grand?

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Congrats on the anthology, Karen! It sounds like a wonderful idea. I definitely want to read it.

Stephanie Faris said...

It is very subjective, isn't it? But I'm inspired with how much courage you've gained with age. In-person events are my least favorite thing. Does that mean I'll learn to embrace them as I get older? Also, your promotional ideas are great!!! In the fall, you may find craft fairs/shows are a great place to sell your books. A lot of people are looking for gifts at those things.

Karen Walker said...

It would, indeed, Pat.
Hi Karen - welcome home!
Stephanie, thanks - those are good ideas - must remember them!

koi seo said...

Who gets to decide that your opinion is right and mine is wrong?


หนังออนไลน์