Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Insecure Writer's Support Group - July

Congratulations to all those who administer the website for this awesome group and to Alex alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com for creating the group in the first place. It has been voted one of the top websites for writers. It is a safe, wonderful place to share our angst, our fears, as well as our joys and successes. Awesome!







I have one more book event for my anthology,"Still Me...After All These Years." It's at a senior center and it's in August. After that, I'm not sure what else I'll do to promote the book. The return in terms of book sales for the energy and effort that is put out to do an event...well, let's say I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm really beginning to question whether I'll be writing any more books. My life is going to change dramatically this winter - I'm going to become a first-time grandma - to twins. They live on the other side of the country and I have a feeling I'll be traveling quite a bit back and forth. My singing duo, Sugartime, takes up quite a bit of my time and energy - we practice three times a week, two hours a time, plus do 2-3 gigs per month.

I haven't felt compelled to write anything for the memoir idea that came to me a while back. It's not writers' block. It's not anything negative. I just haven't felt that inner urge to get things down on paper. It's so odd, because writing has always been my "go to" when thoughts are churning and I need to make some sense out of them.

But the truth is, I feel calm inside. It doesn't mean things don't come up that churn my insides, but I have new tools and new ways of responding to those things, so I don't remain agitated for long. Calm is a completely new paradigm for me. Hmm, as I'm writing this post, I'm realizing that my idea for that memoir, to write the story of how I shifted from PTSD to calm perhaps is something worthwhile. I will ponder some more. In the meantime...

where are you in this wonderful journey of life?
Blessings,
Karen

27 comments:

Pat Garcia said...

Morning Karen,
You have a lot coming at you and it sounds like you're going to have to reorganise in your life. Wishing you all the best with that reorganisation. As for writing, maybe, what seems like at slow start at your memoir is really just a incubating time. It will come. You have reached calm waters so enjoy them before it gets turbulent again.

All the best,
Shalom aleichem,
Pat G Everything Must Change

nashvillecats2 said...

I do wish you luck with selling your book Karen.

Yvonne.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

In-person events take a lot of time and effort, and where I live, gas and lodging money sometimes. That's why I don't do many of them anymore.

Congrats on being a grandma soon!

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Pat. And you're right. I'm sure the turbulence will return at some point. It always does.
Thanks, Yvonne.
Yes, they do, Diane. I've learned to keep them at a minimum. Thanks - I can't wait to hold those babies.

Cathrina Constantine said...

I've always disliked marketing. Writing is easy compared to getting your book out there. I wish you like with that.

It's wonderful that you're in a calming stage of your life right now. That's a good feeling. And when the time comes another story will pop into your head.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Congrats on being a grandma soon. With a laptop, you can still visit them often and squeeze some writing in if you want. Taking breaks from writing when life changes happen can be okay too. You just have to see what feels right to you.

Jennifer Hawes said...

Marketing is difficult compared to writing. I'm at the surviving family vacation stage this week.

Jennifer Lane said...

I hear you on diminishing returns from book events. One author told me it's more about exposure than mankind money, and I agree on that.

Congratulations on the twins, Grandma! How exciting. Too bad they're across the country.

And that's wonderful that you're feeling more peaceful. Sounds like your creative pursuits have helped you heal from PTSD.

Tamara Narayan said...

You never know when the urge to write might strike again. Perhaps a tale about being a grandmother to twins. In any case, taking a break is always fine.

I'd love to be calm though. Right now things are chaotic and probably will stay that way through the summer.

Bish Denham said...

I learned a long time ago not to get uptight about the long periods of time I don't write. If you write another book, great. If you don't, that's okay too, particularly since you have grandtwins arriving. I'm not sure there's a better way to spend you time than with them! Enjoy.

Jemi Fraser said...

Yay for calm!!!
Enjoy your life and take it one day at a time. You'll know when/if the time is right to write :)

Sandra Cox said...

Many congrats on the upcoming twins. We have twin grands too. One of each. So much fun.
Sounds like you have a busy fulfilling life.
I think everyone that's not at the 'Royals' level of writing, questions at one time or another whether to continue on.
Wishing you all the best, Karen.

cleemckenzie said...

Maybe you've come to that beautiful angle of repose. A lovely place, indeed.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It's all right if you've hit that place. I dwelled there for a long time.
Congratulations grandmother-to-be!

Jacqui Murray said...

I think this is the way it works. Being a Grandma would certainly take a lot of that time you might devote to writing, and be more satisfying. Good luck with these changes!

emaginette said...

Nothing wrong with resting. I truly believe that our minds work on things when we let them go for a while. Maybe you'll be surprised when you get back to it. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

Nick Wilford said...

When the right time comes, you'll pick that pen up (or hunker down at the keyboard) and write a wonderful story. It'll certainly be full of surprises - I had no idea you were a singer! Just enjoy all the good things you've got going on - if you're in a calm and happy place, that's fantastic!

C.D. Gallant-King said...

Congratulations on the twins!

Life changes and certain phases come and go. If the pull comes again, if you have something you really need or want to say, then you will write. Until then enjoy the new phase, New projects and new babies!

http://www.cdgallantking.ca/2017/07/strangely-funny-iv-release-iwsg-july.html

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi Karen,

CONGRATS! TWINS! How WONDERFUL! You must be so ecstatic....I am so happy for you and your family.

Sorry that the anthology wasn't as fulfilling as you had hoped it would be, but you probably put a smile on many people's faces and hit a subject that MANY of us are facing. Remember too, the world is in such chaos. So many of us have very little time to read and are focusing on survival. Growing older watching ourselves though wrinkled eyes and realizing we are not who we once were, is something many of us do not want to face. We try to ignore it and press on. Even though your anthology can help.

NOW on a much lighter note, a thought has occurred to me.... I am happy to hear that you are calm. Open you mind to something FUN.... most of your writing has dealt with many emotional topics... why not focus on the next generation. Your new beautiful grand kids. WHY NOT... create a children's story featuring TWINS.... How adorable would that be? Plus that will keep you smiling day after day...Think about it.

Keep me posted, AND if you need an illustrator.... I'm your man.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - that's great about the twins - that will change your life ... but will be so much to see them, and watch them grow ... some tiny children's books I feel a-coming on ...

Just glad you feel settled ... take care and enjoy all that you do - cheers Hilary

Karen Walker said...

Wow, guys, I had to leave for the day yesterday and returned to find all these wonderful comments. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Not sure about a children's book any time soon, but I like the idea of focusing on "fun."

Stephanie Faris said...

They always say there isn't much we can do to "move the needle." I'd focus on doing what makes you happy and get rid of the rest. If it feels like too much work, you probably aren't enjoying it! Maybe look around this fall for some holiday craft sales that attract families? Your book would make a GREAT Christmas gift for a parent or grandparent to those families...

Patricia Stoltey said...

Karen, with grandbabies about to enter your life, your priorities may change big time...and that doesn't mean you will never write again. In five years (or even less), you may get the urge to write even stronger than ever before!

I have a new book, historical mystery this time, coming out in December, and I'm working on a contemporary mystery manuscript I'll pitch to an agent at a conference in September. It's a busy time...and even though I get frustrated at times with my procrastination habit, I haven't wanted to retire from writing...at least, not yet.

Gina Gao said...

Congrats on twins! I'm so happy for you and your family. I wish you all the best.


www.ficklemillennial.com

Lynda R Young said...

Life has a way of taking us on new courses. Good to hear you are feeling calm.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I think a memoir on attaining calm sounds like a wonderful idea. Congratulations to you on being a grandmother to twins!!

Carole Anne Carr said...

Good luck with your writing career, Karen, shall follow you with interest.