Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Dancing at the castle

Folk dance camp was held at Montezuma Castle in Las Vegas, New Mexico this year. A spectacular setting - the castle was built in the 1880's by Fred Harvey. Here are some pics.

Add caption






me as the fairy grandmother dancing at the bal





after the ball singing





Calamity Jane and hubby bartender


12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You guys look great! A modern castle - I would live there.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, so would I. And Northern New Mexico is spectacularly beautiful.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

How fun! I wish I'd known about the castle when I lived there.

Karen Walker said...

I know, Diane. It's relatively unknown to most of us. It burnt down twice and rebuilt, finally bought by Arm and Hammer and now is United World College.

DMS said...

Looks like a great setting for the camp. How fun and beautiful views! :)
~Jess

nashvillecats2 said...

Wonderful pictures Karen looks like a good time was had by all/

Yvonne.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - that looks like you had the most amazing time ... love the photos and you in purple, gorgeous dress - let alone the Calamity Jane and Bar Tender hubby - wonderful place to know about - so pleased you had a happy time - cheers Hilary

Karen Walker said...

DMS, the setting was spectacular and dancing was so much fun!
Yvonne, thanks - I do think everyone had a great time.
Hilary, that purple dress was a huge hit at the "ball." Thanks so much.

LD Masterson said...

I loved castles but I've never had the chance to dance in one. How cool is that?

Julie Flanders said...

Oh my gosh, how fun! You make a beautiful fairy grandmother. I love that purple! And the castle is just stunning.

Jemi Fraser said...

That is so awesome!!

Misha Gericke said...

Looks like so much fun! The castle is beautiful. :-)