Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, October 27, 2017

Grandmaland

I'd given up on ever being a grandmother. My son married late and is in his early forties and there were other reasons it might not ever happen, so I let go of that dream. Now he's expecting twin babies, a boy and a girl, and ever since I learned they were pregnant, I've landed in a new universe -- grandma land. I can't stop thinking about these babies and how my son's life is going to change. And how these babies are going to change everyone's lives around them. Including mine and my husband's. My hubby and I married when we were in our forties and I was already done having children, so he never had any. Now he's going to be grandpa to twins. He's going to be great with them, I just know it. He's someone who should have had a child because he's still so much in touch with the child inside of him. I lost the child inside of me a long time ago and I've been working for many many years to find her again.

Now the twins are almost here. They will come within the next four weeks and I can't seem to do anything except wait. We will go see them after they're born, then their mom will be home with them for three months maternity leave, then hubby and I will go take care of them for a few months. I have no idea what grandma land will be like once they're here, but if it's anything like what grandma land is like now, I'm in trouble because I am totally, hopelessly, madly enchanted and in love with them and can't seem to think about or do anything more than jigsaw puzzles or knit.

Sounds like falling in love, doesn't it?

Blessings,
Karen

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations! Twins at forty - yes, your son's life is about to shake and change to the core. And you are going to have too much fun with them.

nashvillecats2 said...

Congratulations Karen on going to be a grandmother.......and twins.
You will without doubt enjoy.

Yvonne.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Congratulations Karen, you must be super excited to see as well as welcome the twins in your life.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, yeah, I know. It's hard when you're in your twenties and thirties. I can't wait to sing and dance with them.
Yvonne, thank you.
Rachna, super excited doesn't begin to cover it

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - so pleased for you ... that will be wonderful - enjoy them and the time you'll spend in their first weeks ... congratulations to your son and DIL - brilliant news - cheers Hilary

Patricia Stoltey said...

This is such a joyful post, Karen! I think you've bonded with those new babies already, and they're not even here yet. You'll be a wonderful grandma.

Karen Walker said...

Ah Hilary, thanks so much -
Patricia, your mouth to God’s ears!

Julie Flanders said...

Wow, how wonderful! Life sure can bring surprises, can't it? I know you and your husband will be amazing grandparents. Congratulations!