Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Insecure Writer's Support Group - November

Wow, it's November! Honestly, time is flying by so damn fast. I'd heard as you get older, this happens, but really. Where did this year go? Anyway, it's time for IWSG and once again, thanks for Alex www.alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com for creating this wonderful group. Please visit Alex for all the scoop you need to join.







I'm not writing anything right now, so I'm not insecure. About writing, anyway. I've kind of lost myself the last couple of days, but today I'm beginning to feel myself again. I got triggered by lots of fear about the unknown. But with the help of several really good friends, I got clear about what was causing my anxieties and figured out what I needed to do about them. Whew! Having battled depression multiple times in my life, I'm relieved that this one only lasted a few days.

How about you? What's happening in your world?
Blessings
Karen

22 comments:

Michelle Wallace said...

Hi Karen,
Thank goodness it only lasted a few days... and thank goodness for friends who lend support when needed.
Happy IWSG Day!

Nicola said...

It's so good to have friends who can give us guidance in times of need. Glad you are feeling better today, Karen. Take good care.

Tamara Narayan said...

Things are on fast forward, which is frustrating, but I don't have too much time to worry about things. I'm just focussing on keeping up.

Karen Walker said...

Michelle, yeah, I know - I'm so grateful. Thanks
Nicola, without friends, I'd be truly lost. Thank you.
Tamara, that sounds like a good plan

nashvillecats2 said...

As you so rightly say Karen, when one gets older time does fly.
I too have some goals I still want to achieve once I get my life sorted.
Enjoy Novemeber.
Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad the depression was short lived.

Nick Wilford said...

Glad you're feeling better after a bad couple of days.

Jacqui Murray said...

I love that you're honest about what triggers you--and like so many other writers I know who recognize triggering events, you set out to solve it yourself. Kudos, Karen!

Jennifer Hawes said...

Glad that it only lasted a short time. Getting lost in a book or writing helps pull me out of a funk or a rut. I need NaNo to get cracking on my next project.

Suzanne Furness said...

Thank goodness for our dear friends. I know how crippling anxiety can be. So glad you feel better today All the best.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's what good friends are for.

Pat Garcia said...

I find that encouraging that you got a handle on your depression quickly. That indicates growth and maturity. It is difficult to pull yourself up when you don't have direction. It sounds like you have found yours again and I am happy for you.
Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

Julie Flanders said...

So glad your friends were there when you needed help and you were able to work through this. Take care!!

Carole Anne Carr said...

So pleased you are recovered, Kare, long may it last x

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, I wish you luck with your remaining goals. May the Force be with us!
Alex, thanks, me, too
Nick, thanks so much
Thanks, Jacqui - I appreciate your words
Jennifer, yes, getting lost in a project helps me, too.
Suzanne, thanks so much
Diane, yup
Pat, blessings to you
Julie, me, too - you take care as well
Carole Anne, thanks so much

cleemckenzie said...

I have a whole other set of anxieties when I'm not writing. I've given up being angst-free. It's part of my nature. :-)

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm so glad you were able to get a handle on things, Karen. Anxiety can be overwhelming! Take care :)

Ellen @ The Cynical Sailor said...

That's great that you have such wonderful friends to help you through rough patches. Glad to know that the depression was short-lived.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Glad that you were able to handle your challenging time pretty easily. That's what's important. I'm working on handling mine that way too.

Ann said...

October was a difficult month for me but I think it's clearing up. I'm writing but it's a wip that's almost done so I'm not doing Nano either.
I'm glad you got stuff figured out.
Ann

Patricia Stoltey said...

I'll have a new book releasing in December, so I'm trying to do a few more guest blog appearances here and there and figure out how to promote it without having signings or launch parties right at Christmas. I'm also a judge for the ISWG anthology so I'll be doing a lot of reading soon. And I'm doing NaNoWriMo to kickstart a new novel. I've always been one to bite off way more than I can chew, so why stop now?

Cynthia said...

Karen, I'm glad your friends were able to help you through a tough time.